Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Show Don't Tell!

(Which has nothing to do with Show and Tell)

My editor put a lot of this in her revision notes. I'm really working hard on the Showing thing. Or as my friend Leslie reminded me when I called in a panic from outside my cave in the library-- and I think she said this is straight out of one of my favorite craft books, Self Editing for Fiction Writers-- RUE!

Resist the Urge to Explain.

I'm not even sure how I landed on this blog early this morning. I think I followed a link from the very helpful Writers Knowledge Base. But it's something I'll keep in the back of my brain as I re-write to SHOW and stop this pesky TELLING.

Click here if it's your problem also. Tips and Tricks for editing your novel.
A quick list of words to avoid, red flags that you are about to go into telling mode.
(hint: When, As, Could see, Realized)

4 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I love those kinds of editing tips--and Janice delivers them consistently.

Another nice list of words to avoid or take a look at came from "Write it Sideways": http://tinyurl.com/3svqk3j . Avoiding these words can mean putting your reader into deep POV with your character.

Thanks for the mention!

Theodora "Teddie" said...

Great blog post, Augusta. I so need help with RUE.
Thanks.

Theodora "Teddie" said...

Great blog post, Augusta. I so need help with RUE.
Thanks.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Rue is an easy clue to remember. Now if I can just find it in me to stop explaining...