Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

FAVORITE fonts, anyone?

If you aren't already a follower of my friend Leslie Davis Guccione's blog, you must read today's post. Not only is Leslie a writer, she's an artist. So when she writes about FONTS, she knows what she's talking about.

Her CUT AND PASTE zinger put me in mind of Eudora Welty. Cutting and pasting her typewritten pages. Literally.

So click on over to Leslie's post today. A real treat.  
(yes, that's it, right here.☚ )

Here's a teaser, though it doesn't do her blog justice without the pictures and font examples:

 I went through a dozen hard covers, from the life of Churchill to The Cider House Rules. 1 from the library, 5 or 6 from the book exchange at the dump, a few Christmas gifts, and another bought for my NJ book club.
To my surprise, I only found 3 with font information & each was: A Note on the Type. Disparate titles...


Now, I just looked at the title page of the first two books on my huge pile of potential review books and found font info on each. And the title page of GLORY BE says text set in Adobe Caslon. I don't know what that is, but I know it looks great!
(But my examples are kids' books, so maybe it matters more. Or maybe because my books are all brand new, and book designers are now sharing more.)

Now click on over and follow all of Leslie's links and have fun thinking about how your book is, or might be, designed.

2 comments:

Eileen from Atlanta said...

I love this blog! It stirs up so many memories of "the old days" when fonts were limited and designed beautifully and thoughtfully....and we had to study the heck out of them, and their reason for being! Oh, and the days of cut and paste....my favorite days!

PragmaticMom said...

I know when I hate a font, usually too curly but I don't know the names of any of them. And why is it that self published books generally have the worst fonts?!