Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Newpapers: Mississippi to Montreal

It amazes and pleases me so much when somebody from Far Away really seems to get Glory!

Thank you Montreal (yes, that's CANADA) Gazette:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Mississippi+girl+knows+pool+closed/6169931/story.html

And thanks, also, to my local hometown newspaper. I grew up reading the BOLIVAR COMMERCIAL when it was published one day a week. I was the editor of our high school newspaper, the Cleveland Hi-Lite (yes, that's how it was spelled), an insert into the weekly paper. Many things in that newspaper made me mad, even in high school. And some things were just plain fun. (What was Mrs. Glassco's "society" column called? I.C. All? Who remembers!)

And here I am, all these years later, in the Sunday Edition!

http://www.bolivarcom.com/view/full_story/17592221/article-Scattergood-to-hold-book-signing?instance=main_article

7 comments:

Barbara O'Connor said...

So cool! I love that her daughter is writing a review for her school newspaper.

Anonymous said...

Augusta,
As you know, the Bolivar Commercial gets delivered in the late afternoon, around 4PM, in the neck of the Delta where I used to live. Now, eventhough I live near Memphis and get my Commercial Appeal delivered at 5AM, I still won't read it until dinner time, or supper time, as we used to say in the Delta.
It's good to see a "local" girl doing so well in the publishing world. Keep up the good work.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Congrats, Augusta! You are popping up all over the place.

I received a copy from Scholastic this week. Thanks!

Now if my life would just settle down I could return to reading, writing and blogging.

PragmaticMom said...

Congrats!

Carol Baldwin said...

Congratulations. How cool to be featured in your hometown paper!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Linda, that's so funny about the Commercial Appeal. By the way, my first ever publication was in that paper. I was about 10 and it was a (terrible?) poem on Captain Jerry's Page. We always subscribed, for our big city news!

Very cool to be featured in my hometown paper. And tomorrow I head south for a long visit with friends, family, and--I hope-- lots of readers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gusty---"I C All" was definitely the name of the column BeBe wrote. The Christmas holiday one was ALWAYS the most locally interesting one to me and my siblings since we were rarely mentioned in our grandmother's holiday "newsletter" I'm really looking forward to reading your book. Are you familiar with an author whose name is Margaret McMullan? Melinda