Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

brown girl dreaming

What I'm Reading Now.



I read Jacqueline Woodson's new memoir-in-verse because smart people said I would love it.
Then I read it again to write a review, because I did indeed love it.
Then I read it again because I loved it so much I wanted to share a poem to inspire a Writing Workshop.

So believe me, I was delighted to hear the author say she reads slowly.
And sometimes more than once.
When I'm reading for pleasure, I don't always do that. But now I will try harder.
She advises kids to do the same. Even with a book that's easy to speed through- like this one- sometimes you need to slow down, savor the words. Read it again.

Here's the author talking about her path to becoming a writer.




(You can see the link and read Betsy Bird's comments about the book HERE.)

This quote reminds me of someone. Maybe a lot of someones. So I love it (and I paraphrase):
When I was growing up, I told lies all the time. And I had a teacher who told me to write it all down. Because if you write it down, it's no longer a lie. It's fiction.








3 comments:

Linda B said...

I often buy books, then donate them to my school library. It was hard to give this one because I kept picking it up & re-reading parts of it. So I bought the school another copy! I understand what you've said completely! Fun to read your post too!

Rosi said...

Another book for my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Rosi, it's an easy read. BUT you'll want to go back over things. You won't be able to resist, right Linda?