Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Reminder: Every writer needs an entourage

One of the first writing books I ever owned, outside of the obvious craft books and Stephen King and Anne Lamott, was Carolyn See's MAKING A LITERARY LIFE.

The subtitle of this book? ADVICE FOR WRITERS AND OTHER DREAMERS.

Well, that about says it all, doesn't it?

In her chapter, Pretend to Be a Writer, See quotes Ernest Hemingway. 
"Writers must stick together like beggars or thieves."

I'd like to add that it's easy to do because my writer friends are not only tons of fun to hang out with, they teach me so much.

Thanks, entourage.

(My bookshelf. By my writer friends and by writers who feel like friends!)


And the very first time I WROTE about Carolyn See's book was also one of my first blogposts. You may read it HERE, if you care to.

6 comments:

Stacey Shubitz said...

How true! We really DO need an entourage if we're to succeed!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Love that I'm included in your tribe. xo

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I loved that book, Making a Literary Life. And you have a lovely bookshelf, too, Augusta! :-)

Carol Baldwin said...

Nice collection of books and nice entourage. Out of curiosity--where do you keep these? Florida or NJ?

Rosi said...

I haven't read that book but I will definitely check it out. Writing can sure be a lonely business if you let it.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Carol- Just saw these comments, via a FB memory! Of course, we now have all our books in Florida, except the many I donated to the library when we moved. But this shelf has new books added by special writer friends!