Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Saying Goodbye

I wrote this post two years ago today. It still makes me a little sad. 
But NJ is a place I love to visit. And your memory places are always special, right?
When we visited NYC this weekend, my daughter bought this "Tribute in Light" from a street vendor. I just hung it over my desk, for inspiration. 
The first time I saw it was the first year it happened. 
My friend Al drove us up the road a piece to see from the NJ side of the river. 
See what I mean about memories?






10/9/15: Saying Goodbye

It's that time of the year. Fall leaves. Shorter days. Blankets and quilts on the beds.

This year when we pack up our place in New Jersey, it will be for the last time. New adventures could be down the road. You never know until you take that path. 
Old friends-- well, ten-year-old friendships, my writing buddies-- wait for me in Florida.

If you want to read a really beautiful goodbye to a house and to a place, you need to read my friend Barbara O'Connor's blog.

Here, you won't find that. I already said goodbye to my house(s) of 30+ years, ages ago.

But now I'm cleaning out files and packing up only what's essential.
Books, especially. Many, many books. Though just as many have gone to the Friends of the Library book sale and other good friends.

I'm packing up a lot of laughs and a lot of memories.

Like these goodbye notes from my last wonderful school library in New Jersey. 

I don't think this student realized how I DREAMED there'd be a book in my heart some day! She meant the books I loved to read and share, still do. 
But yes, Morgan, there was a book in my heart.





Me, skateboarding? I don't think so...


(I'm not sure how well this student knew me. 
There would be no skateboarding in my retirement.)


This is what I'll miss about New Jersey.

Main Street Deli.


My hometown library.
 Library of the Chathams.
And its gardens.







Oh, and I'll miss not pumping gas. No picture needed. 




For more on other times I've said goodbye, click away, below. 



3 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Goodbyes are always hard, but at least in this situation you're returning to a place you love also. It's a time to purge too--although somethings (like the drawing of the heart) are very hard to get rid of. Best wishes for your move and I hope at some point to meet you in Florida!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Au Revoir!! :-) So you're not returning to New Jersey ever again to live?

Love the pictures from the students, too. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the winter in Florida!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, Kimberley and Carol. Bittersweet is what I keep saying.

And Carol, in answer to another question, the books all go to Florida!